Transfering pictures from phone to laptop?

Posted 05 July 2018 – 02:42 AM

I have a load of pictures on my nokia 3 phone which I want to transfer to my laptop but can't work out how to do it. I've connected it by USB cable and it shows up on laptop but can't seem to get access to the folders.

Posted 05 July 2018 – 07:52 AM

Have you had the phone turned on when you made the connection?

On many versions of Android you will be presented with a dialog that asks if you want to allow a connection to the computer for USB file transfer the first time you plug it in (or again and again if you don't answer, since the default is "no").

Many people never realize that this is happening since the phone is not on (and it need not be on as far as the screen display goes afterward) so while a USB connection is made it will not allow file transfer.  This webpage, https://devices.vodafone.com.au/web/nokia-3-android-7-1/customise/connecting-phone-and-computer/transfer-files-between-computer-and-phone, may prove helpful.  Even though I have a Samsung Galaxy S7, the only way I can access the USB transfer options at this point is a downward swipe from the top of the screen once the USB cable is connected.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

Posted 05 July 2018 – 08:35 AM

Yes i've enabled USB connection on my phone and it shows up on my laptop.

Posted 05 July 2018 – 08:46 AM

Then what, precisely, do you mean by "can't get access to the folders"?

Typically, the only reason you should be forbidden access to the DCIM folder (or any other folder) on the Android side is if Android is preventing it, and it should not be preventing it if the setting mentioned in the article I gave a link to is active (USB connection for file transfer).

Every Android (or other, for that matter) device I've ever used with a digital camera keeps photos under the DCIM (Digital Camera IMages) folder, whether the camera is directed to store photos on internal storage or an SD (or microSD, in the case of a smartphone) card.

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

Posted 05 July 2018 – 09:41 AM

Ok britechguy I'm obviously doing something wrong so will check things when I get back in from work.

Posted 05 July 2018 – 12:25 PM

If you're still having issues make sure that the screen on the Android device is turned on at the time of connection and report back on any message that pops up there or on your computer when the connection is made.

Otherwise, your device should appear in Windows Explorer/File Explorer (presuming a Windows machine of some vintage is on "the other side") and, beneath it, two folders, at least if you have a microSD card inserted in the device, one for the card and the other for the phone's internal memory.  Both should be readable, and the SD card writable if one so chooses, if a USB connection for file transfer has been established.

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

Posted 06 July 2018 – 02:19 AM

Right I checked that USB Tethering was operation and that's ok but still couldn't get into the files for some reason.

I have discovered that by installing "OneDrive for Android" on both my phone and Laptop that has solved the problem. It scanned my phone and successfully transferred all my pictures and apparently will automatically do so in the future so a win win all round.

Thanks anyway for your help.

Andrew

Posted 06 July 2018 – 08:28 AM

Well, if you were using USB tethering that would be a problem right there.  USB tethering is a method of using your phone as a mobile access point, but not a WiFi hotspot, but connecting via USB instead.

The USB connection for data transfer is not handled through the USB tethering option.

I am, however, glad that you have this resolved using cloud storage as your relay.

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley